(This is the first of a four-part series examining the Four Shaft Attachment Methods for Mounted Ball Bearings…)
PTI offers all four (4) shaft locking mechanisms for mounted (aka “housed”) ball bearings:
- Setscrew Locking
- Eccentric Locking Collar
- Concentric Clamp Collar
- Tapered Adapter Sleeve
Let’s examine the first option: The Setscrew, also often referred to as “Setscrew Locking,” is the most popular locking mechanism for securing a mounted bearing to the shaft. Read on to learn more…
KEY FEATURES OF THE SETSCREW:
- Easy to Install
- Lowest Purchase Price
- Clearance Fit
- Moderate Shaft Damage*
- Low to Medium Speed
*Note: this shaft attachment method can cause fretting corrosion, making removal difficult after years of operation
- After the shaft is aligned, tighten both set screws by hand
- Then tighten the set screws alternately until the torque is reached (see Chart 4 below)
- After 24 hours of operation, check the set screw torque and re-tighten if/as needed to ensure full locking to the shaft
DID YOU KNOW?
- Wrenches should be kept in good condition (flats not rounded over) to prevent damage to the set screws and to allow proper tightening.
- Set screws can be replaced to maintain holding power without replacing the entire bearing.
- L10 Life = the expected life of the bearing under normal conditions. Factors affecting bearing life include temperature, ambient conditions (presence of moisture, dust, dirt and other contaminants) and lubrication/maintenance practices.
- PTI Engineers are available to help calculate your bearing’s life expectancy as well as to help diagnose bearing failure. Contact us for details.
- Ball Bearing Instruction Manual – included with every related order from PTI
- The Four Shaft Attachment Methods – click for full video
- Lubrication Tips – click for video
* * *
About PTI: Upon opening in 1994, PTI has specialized in serving the growing niche market of Metric products. As demand has increased over the years, so has our product offering. Today, our customers enjoy a huge offering of both Metric and Inch-based products for the Industrial Power Transmission Industry.