(This is the third of a four-part series examining the Four Shaft Attachment Methods for Mounted Ball Bearings…)
PTI offers all four (4) shaft locking mechanisms for mounted (aka “housed”) ball bearings:
- Setscrew Locking
- Eccentric Locking Collar
- Concentric Clamp Collar
- Tapered Adapter Sleeve
Let’s examine the third option: PTI’s “CL” Series Concentric Clamp Collar mounted bearings use a black oxide coated collar and a slotted inner ring. When tightened, “CL” series units are concentrically locked in place without marring the shaft, allowing for reduced vibration.
KEY FEATURES OF THE CONCENTRIC CLAMP COLLAR:
- Easy to Install
- Minimal Shaft Damage
- Concentric Grip to the Shaft
- Provides a More Balanced Effect Ideal for Medium to High Speeds
*Note: this mounting method is helpful to minimize vibration.
- Once the bearing is on the shaft, tighten the collar using an Allen wrench or torque wrench (to ensure locking torque is ideal – see Chart 4 below from our Mounted Ball Bearing Installation Manual)
- Re-check tightness of the collar after 24 hours of operation to insure nothing has loosened. This check should become part of periodic maintenance including re-lube intervals
DID YOU KNOW?
- Wrenches or drivers should be kept in good condition (flats not rounded over) to prevent damage to the set screws and to allow proper tightening.
- Set screws can be replaced to maintain holding power without replacing the entire bearing.
- L10 Life = the expected life of the bearing under normal conditions. Factors affecting bearing life include temperature, ambient conditions (presence of moisture, dust, dirt and other contaminants) and lubrication/maintenance practices.
- PTI has the product, engineers, and experience to help you choose the ideal mounting method for your application.
- PTI Engineers are available to help calculate your bearing’s life expectancy as well as to help diagnose bearing failure. Contact us for details.
- Ball Bearing Instruction Manual – included with every related order from PTI
- The Four Shaft Attachment Methods – click for full video
- Lubrication Tips – click for video
* * *
About PTI: Upon opening in 1994, PTI has specialized in serving the growing niche market of Metric products. As demand has increased over the years, so has our product offering. Today, our customers enjoy a huge offering of both Metric and Inch-based products for the Industrial Power Transmission Industry.